Below are two pictures from the dragon's early life. The one on the left is me wearing the mask after it's initial construction. You can see it lacks the head piece which I added on later. I experimented with bed sheets, air dry modelling clay, and made the frame out of clothes hangers. Oh, and the head strap is part of an old bike helmet. It's adjustable!
A great mask making teacher of mine taught me to always make a mock up of what you're working on because for the most part, you can work out a lot of kinks in that first initial process. The first picture here is the mock up, which gives me an idea of it's general shape.
Next is the wire frame, which, for lack of a better method, I attached with tape! Effective and cheap. Once attached, it was a just a matter of putting layer after layer of paper mache over top of the frame. Below you can see the whole process. I applied it in a great sheet and then once dry, I cut out the shape of the head piece. As I worked with the mock up I realized I wanted this piece to look sort of like a flame. It's the finishing touch to this mask, so I wanted it to stand out.
A few layers of paint later, and I had my very first dragon mask. Keep a look out for more dragon masks to come. After this experience I think I might be making many more.